Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sharecropper's Son by Tom R. Cook

INTRODUCTION

I decided to write down some of the things I remember from years gone by. I’m doing this for my kids and grandkids, not because they want it now, but because some day they might. There are a lot of things I would like to know about the experiences of my parents and grandparents but at this time my mother’s memory is failing her, and my father and grandparents are no longer in this world. My Grandpa Sullivan came to Oklahoma in a covered wagon before it was a state. My Grandpa Cook’s ancestors were citizens of the Republic of Texas. I have heard one talking about crossing the flooded Canadian river in the wagon and the other talking about shooting prairie chickens through the eye on the Texas plains. I have a thousand questions that I would like to ask them now. When I could have asked them, I was too busy or just not that interested. Now it is too late. Mom did write about her life after she was married but she didn’t cover her early years. So if I write my memories down, maybe it will answer some questions someone might have after I am gone. I have included the location of some of my old haunts so that my kids or grandkids can drive by them if they are ever in the neighborhood. I have first hand knowledge of most of the things I want to talk about, but I will tell some second hand stories too.

1 comment:

V. Massenkoff said...

Hello Tom,
My name is Victor Massenkoff. I am Boris Massenkoff's oldest son. Please call me at 925-383-5034 or email at vmass@cccfpd.org

...Thanks, Vic.